Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Scott and his family went into the Gulf for Memorial Day.

The Gulf was beautiful this past weekend. Waves no more than three feet and most of the time two or less. The water was a clear blue/green. We went out Saturday looking for a specific rock area but I must have the wrong coordinates because the rocks were no where to be found. This was a little frustrating because we were a good 18 miles from the jetties. We fished some near shore rigs on the way back with no success. I think we will call Saturday a successful boat ride. The weather and water were so enjoyable on Saturday that we went out again on Sunday but with a different agenda. We went straight for the anchored ships waiting for their turn to go into port. I could not find the rocks on Saturday but I felt confident I could find several oil tankers. My confidence was justified. We found several ships. Stopping at the first we dropped ribbon fish in the water and drifted along the stern of the ship. After only a couple of minutes Amy's pole bent over and the reel started singing. We quickly landed a 36" Kingfish. As I pulled the Kingfish into the boat I noticed a worker on a crew boat tied along side the anchored ship. He was furiously waving his hands, hollering at me and stretching tight a blue and white flag. I could see he wanted us to get away from the ship and we obliged. We moved to the second anchored ship. My curiosity got the best of me and I called a harbor pilot friend of mine and inquired about the significance of the blue and white flag. He promptly told me that is the international sign for Diver Down. No wonder the man on the crew boat was so excited about us fishing close to him. Learn something new every day . . . anyway, at the second ship we hooked another King fish and a 42" shark. The girls were more excited about the shark than the King fish. They feel they have now personally lived one of the countless shark shows from Discovery or The Learning Channels.

Both days we returned from the Gulf safely and without incident. I cherish my opportunities to spend time with the family in the beauty of Mother Nature. I try not to take these experiences for granted but take the time to stop and enjoy them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home