Wednesday, May 11, 2011

This grackle continues to follow me around and sound the alarm when he spots me. He watches from this perch in the oak tree so he can monitor my front door. He started this last June when I picked up a baby purple martin. I wrote about this at that time and he has not slacked off a bit. It's a shrill warning screech sound he makes and goes from tree to tree when I'm outside. He can pick me out of a crowd too.
Our purple martin colony did not return this year. A few have come around, but the starlings have fought them off. The owls took a toll on the martins last year as they are prone to do and we have a lot of owls. I'm also wondering if the wind might have something to do with their lack of residence. When some birds have come around they have had difficulty in doing their aerial acrobatics in this persistent wind. They may have decided there is just too much wind here this year. I used to see martins on nest boxes down Fulton Beach Road, but not this year. Something is different.
The Green Earth folks have been working the past few days to trim the palm trees on the property. It's been two years since they were trimmed. Some of the fronds will be used to refurbish the roofs of the fish cleaning stand and the cabana next to it.
Unit 101 has been listed for sale. They are asking $279.9K. It might sell at that price.
Colette is no longer working at the Phase II rental office. She was there a long time and will be missed. I wish her well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home