Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Jellyfish were crowded into the marina on Sunday in numbers I had never seen. They have somewhat spread out this week. On Saturday morning I went with Scott and his family to the annual Nautical Flea Market at Rockport Harbor. We got there when it opened, but had to park at least a quarter of a mile away. There were a lot more vendors this year. We found some great deals. I even found two seat cushions for my boat for $5 each, actually Scott found them, but I bought them. We found some stainless hooks for $1 per package that we usually pay $7 for. When Scott left for home, he gave me two large mullet he had netted up. They were about 8 inches long and really too big to be fished live. I put on two of the new stainless hooks on the heaviest rod combination that I have and went to the crossbridge in the afternoon. I started to cut the mullet in half, but I looked in it's eyes and decided to just bait it whole. I had never used a mullet that large as live bait. I cast out at the first light and checked the drag and put the rod in a hole in the railing. I then saw some turkey vultures working the boat ramp and decided to see what had washed up. I decided to walk along the road and circle the mitigation site. I had walked about half way around when I heard what sounded like a small caliber gun shot. No one was around. I looked back at my rod to see the 20 pound line waving in the breeze. I checked it out and sure enough, the line was snapped. The sound I had heard was the line breaking from the strike of the large fish. What ever it was would not have been good table fare anyway. The next day a 25 inch red was caught there, but it didn't have my hooks in its mouth. I'm still looking.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home