Thursday, February 21, 2013

I don't know what the occasion was, but the Turkey Vultures sure had something going on top of the 400 building this week.
I've had two different owners call me recently about their January electric bills. They both use CP&L and had bills way over what they expected. Both had not even been here more than half the month. I have no idea what is going on there.
Yesterday, I talked to Karen Meador's replacement at Parks and Wildlife. She retired last fall and I had not talked to anyone about their most recent gill net surveys for our area. I got some good information. I did not know that they released 250,000 redfish fingerlings at Kontiki last year. Our mitigation site might be productive for years to come. There estimates are that 68,000 keeper trout were taken from Aransas Bay last year. There surveys show that the flounder population has skyrocketed. I think we can attest to that one.
The crabs have moved up into the creeks to find water that is not so salty and right now there are few in the bays and crabbers are selling back there licenses.
The oyster harvest in Copano has been exceptional. They have cut the bag limit from 80 to 60 per day and cut back the hours. They will check next week to see how the harvest is going and may shut it down if it appears the reefs are being over harvested.
Over all we just need much more rain to regain biodiversity to help the trout and redfish populations.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home