Monday, August 03, 2015

Scott sent this story about his weekend.

Went out Sat noonish with a qrt of shrimp.  It was me, Amy, Meg, Mert, and a friend of hers, Erin.  Picked up one keeper (17.5") at Mack.  Tried Jaybird with no luck.  North wind was a little odd as it was blowing like that all day but still hotter than blazes.  Wanted to find a good swimming spot for the girls so went to the little cove on NE side of Long reef.  Did not like that so we moved to other side for fishing.  No luck there.  Then tried to pull up along St Joe shoreline to one of the shell banks between Paul's Mott on Tommy Martin's but they were all covered with waders.  Went back to SW side of Long reef as the water was a very pretty green.  Anchored and Meredith, Erin, and I jumped out to swim. Water felt great after spending a few hours in that sun.  After that we tried a few no name submerged reefs that stretch between Mack and the ICW.  Picked up another keeper so we went home with two trout.  Gave them to a neighbor renter.  They were happy to add it to the batch they caught that morning wading.  Caught a lot of skip jacks . . . and some really big ones.  They are also referred to as the poor man's Tarpon.  The larger ones pull hard and run fast. 
 
Ran slow through the channel  both Sat and Sun and kept the motor almost all the way down.  Basically used it as a plow.  Sacrificed my blade and water pump to help clear the channel.  :-)
 
Went out by myself Sunday morning for what was supposed to be a quick trip to use up a dozen shrimp.  Temperature was terrific and there was enough wind to keep me moving but not too windy.  After a few minutes I caught a BIG slimy gafftop and fought him to the boat.  I grabbed a pair of needlenose pliers to roll the hook out of it's mouth.  While jiggling the hook to get him loose his pectoral barb went into my right index finger.  The pain was immediately excruciating.  Bled like crazy.  Pain was so bad I could not fish any more.  So headed in and took two ibuprofen when I got back.  Very painful!!!  I have not been stuck in probably 6 or 7 yrs by a gafftop or hardhead.  I just got a little too relaxed about handling them.  Amazingly no infection even though the hole closed up right away and could not clean it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home