Thursday, October 26, 2017

This is the view entering our complex. It's not different than all over town where trash is piled high.

Repair has started on the outside of my condo.

This is looking up from my downstairs bedroom into the upper bedroom. The TWIA adjuster declared my contents loss to be 100% and I have been compensated for that.
Repair to the outside of the condos will be a long and slow process.

Last Thursday morning the general contractor, Don Leach, of Allied Restoration challenged my presence on our property. I introduced myself and we had a brief conversation during which he shared a lot of information.  He said he will be bringing in 60 workers to get the project going once TWIA has agreed to the loss payment. So far they have sent us $300,000 to get started. Don said he has sent to the board over 400 pages of itemized losses for each and every condo and the entire complex. However, he said the board wants him to remove the dollar figures for the condos before the list is released. I'm guessing owners might ask a lot of questions. I have asked a board member for a copy of the compilation, but have not yet received one, with or without dollar figures.
Don is meeting with two board members and the property manager  tomorrow morning. He wants to present to owners choices to select the type and color of carpeting and other furnishing items to be replaced.
The question that keeps coming up, is Do owners have to allow Allied to do the work in their condo. After considerable thought, I'm of the opinion the answer is no. Suppose the condo is awarded $50k in loss. If Allied does the work, they will get all the money and the contractor will take 15 to 20% extra. If the owner
does their own contracting they could take that 15 to 20% for themselves and do the work to their liking. My choice would be for the board to get a legal ruling on this. With between 5 and 6 million at stake, we want to get this one right.
Maybe we will know more after tomorrow's meeting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home