Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I had not seen the injured pelican since the storm. Today I learned that Jaime and Lisa called Parks and Wildlife last week and they came and picked him up. I had called TPWD the last time we had an injured pelican and they said I had to catch it first. That was not going to happen. This pelican was much less wary and would actually chase people in hopes of getting a bite of food. I'm sure he was easy to catch.
The Kontiki kitty is not doing as well. I had not seen him in several days. Yesterday he showed up hungry and hurt. He has a big wound on his back. Perhaps a dog took a bite out of him. The bleeding has stopped, but the wound is open. He moves around pretty slowly.
The old mailboxes were taken down last week. I saw Nora, our postperson, come by today. She opened my mailbox for me and I had a load of mail. Justin told me later that Lisa had a key for me. Nora said that when a key is lost the whole lock has to be replaced. She said the Post Office will do it for about $20.
Remodeling work continues all around. It appears that 406 is about finished. 108 is not finished, but I have seen no activity there. Rob and his crew are working on 707 and 711. A realtor from ERA was here taking pictures yesterday. I guess another condo is going on the market.
The strong north wind continues to howl as it has for over a week. Fishing has suffered. The water temperature is only 77 degrees, but the fish are not in a biting mood. All I catch off the deck are hardheads.
Saturday, Justin and John went to the jetties, the Fina docks, and Estes flats without a keeper to show.
Merlin(506) went to Estes and the areas around there on Friday and Monday. The total catch was three reds and one 23 and 1/2 inch trout. They used only live mullet.
Randy(308), Scott(702) and I spent four hours in north Aransas Bay on Saturday. We used Gulp, DOA, and gold spoons. The only bite was a big Gafftop that took a crab shaped Gulp. We had no other action. Sunday, we put in at Cove Harbor and tried every place from there to Hog Island and back. We did catch some small trout and reds and finally one keeper trout and a 25 inch red. The red hit the gold spoon and the trout hit a Gulp. I was using DOA and didn't get a keeper. Both keepers were just off the intracoastal just south of Lindsay's Landing, an old abandoned marina. We did see several white pelicans on both days. This is really pretty early in the year for them

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home