Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 13, 2010

It is Scott here again. I wanted start by welcoming John Schiller back to kontiki. He is a great person and a wonderful benefit to Kontiki and we are excited to have him back. Due to the tight budget these days he will split his time in half with Phase II; 20 hours here and 20 hrs there. His primary duty every day will be to straighten up the property: pool area, boat ramp, trash, parking lot etc. After that he will work on the many small tasks that need to be done. This is the plan for now. If need be we can adjust but it gives us a steady presence of upkeep and maintenance. Tell him Hello next time you see him running around!

I wanted to give you an "after" picture of the attic wall that I insulated.

I entered the attic at 7:30 this morning and came down out of there at 8:15. I do not believe I have ever lost that much fluid that quickly. My jeans and shirt were both soaked through. I was able to push that R-30 insulation into every gap between the studs. As I type it is 8:24 PM here in Rockport and I can already tell that the evening heat build-up in the attic has not been able to come into the bedroom through the wall like it has every evening prior. The plan worked. I more I think about it the more I am inclined to blow in more cellulose sooner rather than waiting for the Fall. It is needed now, might as well put it in now. One other energy saving item I wanted to mention. Due to the orientation of our 2nd story deck looking over the marina, we get intense evening sunset heat straight into our sliding glass door. About a month ago we bought a roll-down shade at Lowe's. We mounted it outside under the soffett(sp) above the sliding glass door. Every afternoon we pull it down and hook it on the hand rail. This cuts the suns rays significantly but you can still see out through it when you are in the bedroom. I recommend you get the 10'. We got the 8' and wish we had the two additional feet.


Saw this ice dispensing station today. It is in the parking lot of the Tobacco Shack on Business 35 entering Fulton. Apparently these are becoming popular. Saw a new one in Houston several weeks ago. It is pretty convenient and the price on the ice is fairly cheap. Although I believe the ice at the Valero next to Sears is still 99 cents for a 20lb bag. Exxon used to be and they raised to $2.00 last year. Since I started doing gulf fishing this has become a little more important to me. We usually take 100+ lbs of ice when we go offshore. It starts to add up.


For you birders out there; we were leaving Rockport Beach this afternoon and the birds are everywhere. Apparently they are all raising their young right now. Here is a Sea Gull with two babies. This is a first for me. The Black Skimmers were also nesting and many of them were feeding babies. We miss so much of this because we are not here everyday of the year to catch the seasonal events. Always something new in Rockport.


With the boat in the shop and the winds blowing like mad we have spent most of out time running the marina. Cast netting has been a big theme this past weekend. With cast netting comes the occasional bait fish and immediately following that are our resident Blue Heron and Egret. I assume that is what I pictured above. If not someone please correct me. They have been within eye sight of the finger piers all weekend. While I was working my way down the bulkhead continuing to throw the cast net in search of more bait the Heron went to a bucket that I was using to hold my catch. He stuck his beak in and plucked out an 8" mullet. With precision and some level of carnivorous gusto he flipped it around in his beak and sent it down his throat head first. Pretty impressive for such a skinny bird to woof down a fat fish like that. Also very brazen for him to steal it from my bucket. Word to the wise . . . keep your bucket close by for fear you will loose all of your hard earned bait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home