Thursday, January 21, 2016


I had seen a few drum and sheepshead just off the bulkhead last week so I purchased some dead shrimp. I had not purchased dead shrimp in years and was a bit surprised when the price was $6 per pound and the shrimp were tiny. Oh well. I put my first bait out on Monday from off my deck. Within minutes one of the rods began to bend strongly. This 19 inch sheepshead had been hooked from inside his gill plate. Had I not been using a stainless steel hook, he would never have been hooked. I don't usually keep a sheepshead since they are so difficult to fillet, this one was so big I knew I could get some fillets off of it. It was a challenge, but did get two good meals. One fried and one baked.
I decided I didn't want any more sheepshead, so I switched to live mullet for the rest of the week. So far, four poles, all day and night, three days, and not a bite. The guys going out in boats have had the same luck, no bites.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home