Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Yesterday, me and some hungry feeding trout found ourselves at the same place at the same time. The larger one was 18 inches and the smaller one was 15 and one half inches. The weather conditions were just about as good as it gets. I found it hard to get motivated since my success rate at catching trout has been so poor. I really don't wade much because when I purchased my waders some 15 years ago. I bought the size to fit a 200 pound person. I've only added about 2 pounds a year and the waders are more than a little snug. I could probably make an "America's Funniest Videos" if I filmed getting those things on. They ought to make a maternity style for us older guys. I checked the bait bucket that Scott had left and the shrimp were still lively so I just had to get out. The cold front was due at dark. I drove over to the usual spot near the causeway and saw five waders not doing much. I convinced myself that this area gets a lot of fishing pressure and maybe I would do better walking from our place down the HEB beach. I came back and walked to the area where the shoreline turns from north south to east west. I made the first cast at 4:45 pm. Immediately, I began to catch small trout. Almost every shrimp made a one way trip except for those that came back in the mouth of a trout. I was able to fish for an hour before it got dark I only got those two keepers, but what a lot of fun. I must have caught 20 total.
I talked to Justin yesterday about the progress of our projects. The channel dredging is probably going to have to wait until after the first of the year because our maintenance permit expires in two weeks and in addition, we are permitted for a mechanical dredge and are planning to use an hydraulic method. Belaire Environmental is working on the new permit. They have also been contracted to redesign the breakwater to slow down future shoaling.
Justin has not had a chance to meet with the people from the GLO to begin the permitting for the super pier.
The work on the parking lot concrete work may have to wait until after the winter Texans leave. Justin said it can't be finished in the two weeks we have until the parking area is filled with traffic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home