Monday, November 09, 2009

This letter to the editor appeared in a recent issue of the Saltwater Angler. I had not heard of a monetary motivation.

I have been reading with great interest the discussion of trying to open Cedar Bayou. I have fished Cedar Bayou since I was knee high (the late 60’s until the last few years when it sanded over). I have never experienced such a magical place abundant with marine life, so peaceful to camp on the bank for a couple of days, wade the edges and load up a stringer of various fish. I am saddened over the fact that greed and money has delayed the re-opening of his important pass. Of all that I have heard and not that I am knocking the wealth and power that the Bass family has, but don’t you think that major money is involved here? I mean think about it, the Bass’s run cattle on San Jose and Matagorda. If the Pass is closed, the cattle are free to cross and roam both islands. When the Pass was open on numerous occasions I have encountered cattle on the San Jose side wanting to cross but the water was too deep and swift. I even saw a cow get hooked by a fisherman throwing a cocahoe minnow! If the pass was reopened, well then the Bass’s would have to ferry the cattle back and forth, hence labor costs, fuel costs and maintenance on the ferry. I can see no other reason why the hold up of such an important issue other than a great deal of money is involved. Soon the Whooping Cranes will be making their way down here only to find no marine life to feast upon because no fresh salt water is flowing into the estuaries. It is sad, real sad. I have read about the grasses vanishing from Copano to San Antonio Bay. I believe this is a direct result of “no flow” from the Pass. I am sure the lack of fresh water and rain has an impact as well. The longer we wait to open it, the worse our ecosystem here will become. I’m no biologist nor am I college educated but I can tell you, money is the largest problem here concerning Cedar Bayou. Little people like myself can only write letters and complain to each other. We have not the power and influence to change the corrupt ones. How dare the fat cats in office, sit there and decide what is best down here. Yet they spend our tax dollars on some other needless program.
Sorry for being so long winded but I had to respond in light of your comments on Cedar Bayou. I guess the good old days are gone.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home