Saturday, October 30, 2010

After all the wind died down, Wednesday was a great day on the water. Edward, a high school friend of mine, and Marv planned a trip to Copano. We intended to leave at 10am. Marv had picked up a quart of shrimp and Edward brought the ice. I had not used my boat since I had some guys, who drove through the complex looking for work, do a lot of cosmetic work on it. Reed Smiley(original owner of 306) had purchased the boat new in 1987. It has spent its whole life at Kontiki and never had any kind or cosmetic work done on it. The guys did a great job.
When we got ready to launch, Marv noticed the drain plug was not in. I had intentionally put it in place so that it would not get lost while the guys were working on it. Marv and I went to Seaworthy Marine and I paid $6.42 for a new plug. We decided to buy another pint of shrimp while we were out since the first ones were so large that a quart did not add up to a lot of shrimp. Now we're back at the ramp and 45 minutes behind schedule. I backed the boat off the trailer without starting it. I had always powered it off the trailer. Sure enough, when we tried to start it, the batteries were low and it barely turned over. Fortunately, I had a booster battery in my car and we hooked that up and began to crank the engine and crank and crank and crank. It would not start. Finally we took the cowling off and inspected the engine. We noticed the choke was not engaging when I pushed the starter key in. Edward held the choke closed and when I hit the starter again we were in business. Now we were an hour and a half late getting started.
We tried about every place I know in Copano from Lap Reef north to Turtle Pen. The same places that Steve and I found fish just six days ago held no fish at all. We came back to Newcombe's Bend and finished with only undersized fish to show. We did stop at Tin Can Reef on the way back and saw bait fish everywhere, but again no bites. It was still a great day on the water. Later that day Vic(712) waded out on Tin Can Reef and caught four big gafftop. Edward and I came back totally worn out and stayed in the rest of the evening. Marv, even with his twenty years on us, had the energy left to take Rita out to eat at Crab'N. I do not know how he does that.
The catch of the day was a 29 inch red that I heard Pat and Jimmy(guests in 205) caught off the bulkhead wall. Randy(308) and a friend took his boat to Estes Flats also on Wednesday. They had the same success we did, none at all.
You might see Taylor(508) walking his new dog, Jake, around again this weekend. They adopted the chocolate lab last weekend for Taylor's birthday. Jake is well mannered and friendly for just being adopted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home