Monday, October 04, 2010

Another fish story. I last posted that likely a big red had come by and taken the line off my rod and reel staked out behind the condo. I have come to the conclusion this was no red. I have never in all my fishing days had all the line taken by a fish. It is called being "Spooled" and I have read about it. The reel I was using was the largest that Shakespeare makes in a closed face spinning reel. I triple checked the drag and it was as tight I as I could trust. On Friday morning I set the rod out again with a perch on a stainless steel leader and a 5-0 Mustad hook that cost $4.95 for 10. I was ready. I went back in the condo and shortly after checked and again all the line was taken out down to the center of the spool. I reeled it in and this time the hook was partially straightened. I put another perch on and threw it out. With a slight north wind, I can cast it about 50 yards. I went to Steve Lew's barbecue for lunch. When I returned the line was out again. There was slack in the line and I thought the line was broken. I reeled up about 15 yards when, to my surprise, the fish was still on and not very happy. It took off toward the pier and the drag virtually whistled. I instinctively put my left index finger under the reel and on the line. Not a good idea. My finger was burned instantly. Now I have landed some big drum and reds in my day, but this was ridiculous. I had no control on this thing. When the line ran out, the line went slack again. This time the hook was totally straightened out. This was no red or drum. My only two suspects are a shark or perhaps a tarpon. There was a 212 pound tarpon caught in Copano a few years ago that had 50 leaders and hooks dangling from its mouth. There have been an incredible number of mullet gathered behind the condos for the last week. Something big is here, I believe, to feast on them. What ever it was, it would not have been good to eat. I do not believe there were several of the fish around, because I believe I would have caught a smaller one of the species that I could have landed. I think it was the same fish four times. So after never having been spooled, it happened four times in the same week. I would say maybe this is the week to catch this thing and see what it is, but I used the heaviest inshore tackle that I have and that was not enough. I guess I just won't cast as far out this week.
Work began on the roof on the 100 building on Friday. He worked on the area between 103 and 104. It is just so bad that we have this big roof repair when we spent about $200,000 two years ago. Proper supervision by the board or property manager could have avoided this. Some owners say we need to go after Mike McAdams who did the work, but when the work trucks did not have a name on them, I figured this was not a company with a lot of assets. Mike's brother and John were good friends in Austin and John recommended him. Actually, I don't know at this point if anyone has tried to contact Mike. He might still stand behind his work. That is probably something our board should be looking into. Chris and Karra arrived here on Wednesday. Usually things get into gear when they are here and maybe they will check into this.
Marv and Rita checked in for their monthly fall stay on Friday. Marv may be 88, but I'm sure he will be ready to go out on my boat with me and stay until I get too tired to fish.
Benches were put into place on the marina piers and the fishing pier. They look great. I guess since Phase I supplied the materials, Phase II will fund the labor.
I called Sprint Customer Service last week. Normally, someone from Manila
answers in broken English. This time I got someone named Jody who works out of the Victoria, Texas office. What are the odds? I didn't even know Victoria had a Sprint call center.
I had a couple of responses about the picture of the AEP trucks backed into the parking area in front of the 600 building. Rodger googled the concept and there were several theories. The one I liked was that when backing in, if a another vehicle is hit, it is not likely occupied and you can make your get away whereas if you back out into someone, you are busted. Frank noted that service personnel are taught to back in so that when dispatch calls them into action, they can leave with minimal interaction by being backed in.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my experience it is easier for me to back a large truck into a space than pulling straight in. I'm always crooked when I go straight in.

Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 11:11:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From my recent expirence at Kontiki Beach Resort the management company does not have a clue what they are doing. I will NEVER come here again. Maybe you should write about how bad the management is and not about how good the fishing is. If your management wants stay in business they better get a better game plan.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 12:53:00 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...I've heard nothing but good things about the management company. They have to be doing something right to earn Business of the Month!!

Tuesday, October 19, 2010 at 11:19:00 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home