Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I don't know that I have ever fished so long and hard with no results. I have not caught a keeper in a month. I am trying this new lure that I found at Tackle Town. It's called a "Die Dapper". It is upside down in the picture above. I have heard good things about it and on my third cast with it I did catch an almost keeper, but 300 casts later, not another bite. The bay seems dead. There are no shrimp boats working. No birds can be seen diving on fish. No one has brought in any catch from the bay. Dick, Mike, and George brought back 5 trout, 3 reds, and one flounder on Thursday, but they had go far up St. Charles Bay to find them. I have seen some Sheepshead around the pier and one even got caught on a speck rig on Friday evening.
The Time Warner feud with Corpus stations continues. We have six less channels and the same price with no options. We have even less to watch with the news channels devoting most of their time to the destruction derby, otherwise known as the republican primary. It bothers me that no candidate is talking about education. If we want to improve the economy, we have to do something with the public education system. I watched a special with Dan Rather on education in Finland. They continue to be a nation with a world class education system and they do no standardized testing at all. Here we are seeking more testing. They don't even start school until age seven. In Finland 75% of adults read a daily newspaper. I think I see a pattern here.
The January electric bills are in. Mine was way down. I know last January was cold and this year has been mild. I looked back two years ago to get a better comparison. My bill then was $252 and this month it was $126. I have to think the extra insulation that I had put in has really helped. I wonder how other end unit three bedroom units without insulation fared?
Soon there will be no condos for sale. Number 608 is under contract and that was the only one on the market. I don't know that I have ever seen a time when we had no units for sale.
I went into Walmart last week to buy some Excedrin aspirin. The shelf was empty and recall signs were up. I don't know how I missed that news. I looked it up on the net and found that January 9th all Excedrin products were withdrawn. I checked the lot number of the almost empty bottle that I had and found it was on the recall list. Today I noticed that Walmart has their own brand on sale. I guess they are trying to take up the market slack.
The tides this winter have been way up and then way down. This could be the reason the mitigation site has not seen an overgrowth of moss as we usually see at this time of year. The moss seems to form on the edges and then the water drops out and the moss dies off. The high tide returns and the process is repeated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home