Tuesday, January 26, 2010

I had posted that perhaps a side effect of the cold weather might be that the mosquitoes would be gone for the year or at least severely depleted. That really has not happened and I received the note below from Chuck(107) about his experience with mosquitoes in Alaska. I had hoped the Texas mosquitoes were not as tough as his Alaskan variety, but maybe they are!

I was somewhat amused at your wishful thinking that the mosquitoes would be gone when the temp hit 26. In Alaska, we have to have temps considerably below freezing for quite awhile before they are gone for the winter. And then they come back in late spring even if the temp gets to -50 during the winter. Also, we have a mosquito magnet which attracts and catches mosquitoes. When the basket is full you have to dispose of them and they are still alive. I tried several methods of killing them before emptying the basket _ I didn't want to use insecticides because I was afraid they would "melt" the plastic parts. I tried putting them in the freezer for several days. As soon as they warmed up, they were as healthy as ever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home