Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I feel kinda silly posting this, but it is strange but true! Last Friday afternoon a Purple Martin baby, not yet able to fly, was on the ground. I picked it up and put it in the tennis court fence. The parent birds naturally sounded the alarm. They settled down and continued to feed the young bird. Later that evening this male Boattail Grackle started sounding the alarm when I ventured out on the property. He watched my front door and screeched loudly when I appeared. He followed me all over the property. As of today he is still announcing my every presence. I have seen different species of birds band together to ward off perceived predators, but this is a new one. There has been one Eurasian Dove that chases after the grackle when he gets too loud.
I have seen this as an opportunity to experiment and have tried wearing different colored hats, no hat, walking with friends, and different colored shirts. Every time though he picks me out and squawks non stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home