Monday, November 08, 2010

After Scott met with several contractors on Saturday morning, he, Paul(505), and I headed out to find some reds. We spent a few minutes at Long Reef with no luck. We then headed to Paul's Mott. Bait fish were everywhere. Scott threw the net and caught some mullet for bait. I lowered my jackplate to use it as an anchor as we were in less than a foot of water. I caught the first red, but then Scott ran off four in a row. Paul had trouble getting on the board. He said he needed better luck so he went to the stern where Scott was and rubbed Scott's shoulders for luck. As he turned around to go back to the bow where he was fishing, his rod bent over with a good sized red that he later boated. We thought that was pretty ironic. You have to understand that fishing for reds is a rather passive activity and the banter among the persons on board can be diverse and boarder on the absurd, but it was weird to see Paul's wish for luck be so rapidly rewarded.
It is worth noting that three waders were fishing about 120 yards to our south during this time and were constantly fighting fish. We pulled over to them as we were both leaving and asked what they were using for bait. They said they were using New Penny Gulp and had caught and released a number of big reds.
On Sunday Scott and I went back to the same spot as Saturday. The water had cleared and no bait fish were evident. We moved south about a mile and stopped at a drain that had some cloudy water. The reds will sometimes cloud the water with their feeding activities. Sure enough, the reds had relocated to this spot. The bite was on. Scott staked out four rods and I staked out two. My boat had the porcupine look. Two of the reds were 27.5 inches long and the smallest was 25 inches, real solid fish. This time I had the magic touch as I boated five while Scott landed one. We each had several get away from us. It was a blast. The fish seemed to have full bellies. When we opened them up later, they were stuffed with 3 inch baby hardheads, at least fifteen. I hope every red out there is filling itself with baby hardheads.
On as side note, my email service has been out since Friday morning. I can send, but not receive. They hope to have it working by tomorrow afternoon. So if anyone thinks I have not responded to your email, there is a reason.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home