Friday, November 22, 2013

This was a new first for me. On Wednesday I baited two poles with live mullet and placed them about 20 yards apart off the crossbridge. If they are too close and a hardhead gets on one, they will create a tangled mess in no time. Anyway, I went to Walmart and left the rods out. When I got back, I saw I had some slack in both lines. I pulled one in and this 15inch flounder was on the other end. I went to the other pole to reel it in and the slack line led right to the same flounder. Upon closer inspection I saw that this flounder had caught up with both of my tethered mullet. Notice the two lines coming out of its mouth. I have never seen or heard of one fish on two different lines. What if the other line were not mine? It does lead me to the conclusion that there were not other flounder in the area. If this one had time to devour one mullet and then search out and catch the other one, there must not have been much competition.
One Monday Jerry brought me a 21 inch red he caught in the mitigation site. I put it on a stringer to fillet later. I really don't care that much for reds and put off taking care of it and thought I might find someone who wanted it.  I checked on the red on Wednesday evening and it was still in good shape so I just let it go. The next morning, Jerry brought me one that was a true keeper. The trout below had its head touching the end of this five gallon bucket and you can see how much is still out. It was huge and I filleted it immediately. This trout took a mullet cast from the crossbridge. This morning Vic(712) had one in same place that was at least as big, but lost it getting it over the railing.
There were guests from 211 spending a lot of time fishing from the end of the pier on Wednesday and Thursday. I went out to see them on Thursday. For all I knew they were catching something. They said they had not caught anything in two days. I felt sorry for them and told them their best chance was from the crossbridge. The tide has been so high it was halfway over the entrance road at midnight on Wednesday. I don't believe I've ever seen it this high this time of year.
Jerry and I did see something unusual on Tuesday morning. The wind was strong and a Cooper's hawk was hovering over the mitigation site at least 100 feet in the air. Suddenly, it folded it wings tight to its body and shot like an arrow into the water below. We couldn't see if it had been successful. I had seen footage of things like this, but never in person. Very impressive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home