Monday, February 25, 2008


I don't know that I've ever been schooled at fishing as happened yesterday. Don Gormley and I left here about 3:30 and had intended to go to Paul's Mott. He wanted to see Half Moon Reef. The water temperature was 71 degrees with a light south wind. We went first to the "pipe" and he caught a few small ones. We then went to the two reefs about one-half mile east of the pipe. Don immediately caught an 18 inch trout and then a 15 and one-half trout. Meanwhile I had boated a couple of 10 inch trout. I knew it was time to leave. We went to Half Moon. There he proceeded to boat a 16 inch trout and then a 22 incher. By this time I had added a couple more of the 11 inch variety. We were both using DOA shrimp of the clear variety. I did notice late that his was a one fourth ounce and mine was a half ounce. I gave up on the one fourth ounce type long ago because the hook is small and I lost too many bigger trout. I guess, however, it may be better to lose big trout rather than to never hook them at all! I think you can see in the picture which is the 22 incher. Don had been out to Lap Reef on Saturday and reported eight other boats there and no luck at all.
Kevin(501) went to Copano on Saturday and Long Reef on Sunday and brought back one trout each day. He said the one at Long Reef took a large gold spoon and was eighteen inches.
Today the wind was strong with gusts to 42 miles an hour, but the temperature was 92 in Corpus for a new record high for the date. Tomorrow the gusts are to go to 50 mph.
I did notice on Sunday that there were a lot of birds on the water. We saw about five large groups and stopped at one to see what they were on and it was only very small trout. I do believe it could mean that the shrimp are coming back into the bays.
There was showing by a realty agent of unit 203 this afternoon. They didn't stay long. I think Gus still has the price at $337k.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home