Thursday, April 03, 2008

Finally, a pretty positive fishing report. I caught two large keepers on the pier Monday night. They hit on a large white C-tail. Then on Wednesday morning I saw Pat(602) and he gave me two Rubbermaid coolers that he was replacing on his boat. Marv and I worked on taking the upholstered cushion seat from one and putting it on top of the cooler behind my console. The chest there requires an odd size to fit in the stainless steel frame. I had not been able to find one and when Scott(702) bought his '77 model boat it came with an old cooler that was the right size. I've been using that without a cushion. With a bit of modification we made it work and it looks and feels great. Then we tried to see what we could do with the really big extra cooler with a really nice cushion. The cooler must be four feet across. We put it between the lean post and the transom. It's almost as tall as the gunnels. Of course, we had to take the boat out to try out the new seating and cooler accommodations. The wind was a little strong, but we made it to Long Reef about 2:30 pm. We tried DOA, but had only the clear with pink tail. I then tried a Gulp in watermelon that was shaped like a bass assassin with a split tale. Meanwhile Marv caught about six small trout on the DOA. Then I boated a 17 and a 17 and a half inch trout on the Gulp. I gave Marv one and we each caught two more solid trout. Marv had the largest at 18and one half inches. Marv would have stayed longer, but I got really tired. He may have twenty years on me, but he never lets that get in the way of fishing. The Gulp lures must really have some scent on them too. We caught three Gafftop and I caught three really big hardheads on the Gulp. The water temperatures were as low as 77 and as high as 79. That is pretty warm for this time of year, in my opinion.
The peak wind gust today was measured at 54 mph. Tomorrow wind is forecast to peak at only about 45 mph. Saturday looks to be near ideal conditions. I hope the trout will still be there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home