Saturday, October 25, 2008

I have heard numerous guests complain about the lack of fishing opportunities because of our damaged piers situation. This morning I talked to some folks who had driven over 600 miles to stay with us and were so disappointed with the piers they said would not likely return. This week some additional lights were added to the pier as in the picture above. I'm not sure just how effective this type of lighting will be. This type will not penetrate the water to any significant depth and won't likely attract any trout.

This pair of lights is mounted directly on the pier railing. We do need some additional lighting on the pier walkway itself, but these lights could present some liability issues. Small hands could be burned by the hot light or worse. I can only hope that if a new pier is built, really adequate lighting is part of the project.
Scott(702) had some business associates here this weekend. They went with a floundering guide Thursday evening. They picked up 17 flounder from about 7:30 p.m. until midnight. The next morning they went in Scott's boat out to Long Reef. I got a call from Scott just after noon that his engine had shut down. Gus(203) and I went out to tow them in. When Scott removed one of the spark plugs, part of the piston ring was embedded in the plug. Not a good thing.
Later Gus, Marv, and I went out to Spaulding Reef. Marv caught one small trout, Gus caught one 20 inch Drum, and I caught two Robin Fish. Not too great. Today we went out for three hours and did not catch anything. Gus later used my boat to take out his family and caught two drum. One group staying here came back with six reds between the six of them. They had been wading at Paul's Mott. I know that's where they caught them, because I saw them there. Lyle(304) caught one 22 inch red off the pier last night. I have not seen nor heard of anyone catching a keeper trout this weekend. The water temperature was in the high 70s early last week and after the latest front it dropped to the low 70s. We all had hoped that would help, but I guess not. I did see my first two Whooping Cranes of the season on Tuesday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home