Sunday, June 19, 2011

Weekends with high occupancy always yield a few surprises. A couple of weekends ago I saw people tossing washers on the tennis court. I didn't go over to watch, but the next morning when I walked on the court I saw what the washers had done. Every miss of the board left a divot on the court surface. There were spots like this in front and behind each board. I got someone out for an estimate and he quoted $350 to fix these up. This time of year it is just a given that owners who profit from rentals are exacting some cost from owners who do not by the damage to the common elements.
Last week these people checked out of condo 212 at Phase II and came over here to wash their car and equipment on our lawn. They drove exactly over the the new sprinkler and line we had installed just three days earlier. So many think this is just one big resort and they have use of all the facilities no matter where they rent.
The guests in 608 had a really big party last weekend. As they partied they just chucked their trash over off the deck and onto the lawn.
This weekend only saw minor problems so far. About midnight I walked by the pool and there was the biggest pool party I have ever seen here. There were no less than 20 beer bottles arrayed around the pool. They were kind enough to pick them all up when reminded of the rules about bottles around the pool area. Last evening our security called Maria to report four vehicles without parking permits that came in for a one bedroom unit in the 400 building. Maria called them and they said those people were just coming by to use the bathroom. I think Maria threatened them with eviction if she found they were really putting that many people in one condo.
Last evening our security turned away fifteen vehicles who were trying to enter our property for various reasons. He heard some of the excuses that Pop says he hears all the time. They say,"When did this become private property"? or "I've fished here for years and no one ever objected." One car came by with a load of people and fishing gear and said, "I stayed here a few weeks ago and I just wanted to show my friends the pier."
Ultimately, the only solution that will ever work for us is to build or buy a condo on our property to oversee, manage, and rent. We did this fifteen years ago and it worked really well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home