Sunday, April 01, 2012


Scott generously shared his weekend fishing results with blog readers.

Fished Saturday morning, Saturday evening and Sunday morning. All with DOA under a cork.
Saturday morning I had Meg and a friend of hers with me. We all had different DOA's so we would see who had the most luck. I had the DOA with red flecks in it. Never really had much luck with it before but it was the lure of the day, at least relative to how the other two performed. I missed netting an 18" fish at the boat and later landed a 16" fish. Boated a couple of school trout and then a gafftop that really fooled me. It was taking drag and shaking it's head. Thought I had a whopper of a trout . . . .then I saw the slime. At the end of that half day fishing the DOA with red flecks was by far the winner. The clear had a few bumps all day and the white with yellow tail did nothing.
Saturday afternoon fished by myself from 6:00 to dark. Brought home a 15" and 18" trout. The 18" trout was fat; not a fat belly but lots of meat. Side note: trying to net a keeper trout by yourself is a comical and frustrating adventure. Your talking to the fish coaxing them in, talking to the net about where it needs to be and talking to yourself about how to keep the rod up to bring the fish closer to the boat but not pull the fish up out of the water. I would like to see that on camera some time. It will make any veteran fisherman look like a disjointed rookie.
Fished Sunday morning for several hours by myself. Caught one 17" trout at Jaybird. Caught it on the 2nd cast and thought I was into them. Did not get another bite the rest of the trip. It was one of the prettiest mornings I have seen in a long time. I left the condo at 7:00 and needed my running lights. Started my day in Carlos Bay. Up against the shore the water was calm and full of activity. Mullet jumping everywhere. Several UFO's heading South to North along the shoreline. They were big enough to be pushing a wake. Very exciting! I threw half of my tackle box at them with nothing to show for it but a new layer of rust on all the hooks. That being said, it was a beautiful thing to see this morning. I do love mother nature and what she gives us.
Before we left Rockport Sunday afternoon I put 4 fresh trout in the freezer. Not bad for a weekend of fishing . . . especially when you consider the following quote:
"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry Davis Thoreau
This reminds me of another quote that is always appropriate when considering boating adventures: "Bad trips make good captains." - author unknown

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home