Monday, April 28, 2008

Here is Randy's(308) report on the weekend weather and fishing. Thank you Randy.

If Rockport needed rain , they really got it. About 5:30 AM Saturday a mean storm came thru. Dumped a lot or rain and was terribly windy. Ron put yellow tape across the entrance to the south pier and closed it down. Sunday morning I counted 9 boards floating near the base of the pier on the west end. Sunday about noon another big rain hit ahead of the cool front. North pier fishing was pretty good despite the wind. People reported good catches Friday night so I tried it myself Saturday. As darkness took over my grandson and I started catching trout on speck rigs or worm puzzlers on the north pier. We caught a goodly number but only 2 keepers. Lost two good ones, one wiggled off the hook as I tried to bring him over the railing and the other I managed to get over the pier but he threw the hook and hit hard on the pier and the first bounce was back in the bay. It was fun, best action I have had off the pier in many years. Really don't fish the pier that much but will be more eager now.
My 3 year old grandson with help from his dad landed a 14' flounder Sunday morning, fishing near the BBQ pit area of the boat channel.
I cleaned the fish and found 2 small perch in his belly and could not possibly see how he had room for the piece of shrimp he went after.
Took home 3 keepers with the 2 trout and flounder. Better than I have done in my boat, which never saw the water again this weekend, due to weather.
Saw an interesting sight in back of the 200 building. An older gentleman was fishing old world style. He held in his hands a large thing that resembled a spool of thread except many times bigger.
It was tapered at the top end. He would swing a weight and a baited hook about 3 times over his head and then let it go. The line would come off the spool he held and he could get it out there
20 yards or so. He would then tight line, holding on to his line to feel for a bite. I did not stick around to see if he caught anything but if he did, he would have had to hand fight it in, wrapping his line back on to his spool as he fought the fish. Wonder what kind of drag system he had. He appeared to be Indian or Pakistani perhaps. Weird sight for this day and age.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home