Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Kinsel's crew worked some on Sunday, but not today. They have installed finger pier posts everywhere except behind the 600 building. Robbie launched his pontoon boat today and started work on the finger pier decking.
Sunday was as good as it gets for boating weather. Four of us spent 5 hours on the water, but found very few fish in a biting mood. Only Marv caught a keeper on a watermelon Gulp at the "pipe". Monday six of us tried again and in the morning the wind was extremely light. At Half Moon Reef we found the water saturated with bait fish. I don't know that I have ever seen that much bait activity. We spent a hour there and only boated one stingray. About 2 p.m. the wind kicked up to gusts in the mid-twenties and we tried Spaulding Reef and everything in between. I picked up one keeper trout under birds near Poverty Reef. We did get a few Gafftop. On Sunday my boat would not go above about 10 mph. I went to see Ben at The Boat Shop on Monday morning. He said they had seen a lot of water in the gas lately. He suggested that I drain the carburetors. Sure enough it worked just fine. However, when leaving Half Moon I realized the trim switch would not lower the motor. I didn't have a screwdriver on board to bleed the hydraulic system so we had to keep our speed to a minimum the rest of the day. I called Ronnie's Marine today and they have the relay for a mere $72. I plan to pick it up tomorrow.
The wind was up today so I put a rod out off the deck. About noon a 20 inch trout can by and took the perch bait. Marv netted it for me. I still feel the bay is in good shape for a big year of fishing. You just have to be at the right place at the right time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home