Monday, October 27, 2008

Yesterday, Scott(702) and I finally found some reasonable trout action. We went to Ayres Reef about 11 a.m. There were five waders on the reef and we could see them netting some trout. We threw DOA shrimp and began to get some hits. We caught nine trout in three hours. Five were keepers, but we lost two of those at the boat. That's not great, but a vast improvement over recent results. We tried Gulp, spoons, and topwaters with not even a single hit. The DOAs did all the good.
Without Barbara( the flounder lady) here, the other flounder lady(Pat) has had the flounder action all to herself. They arrived on Friday and the flounder better lookout. I saw her carrying an 18 inch flounder that she caught at the fishing cleaning stand yesterday.
Speaking of flounder, I stated earlier that Scott and friends caught 17 flounder. The number was actually 21. Most were gigged in Carlos Bay. The 17 flounder belonged to Brian Pontoon who gigged them on last Wednesday. Brian and his wife, Patsy, own and operate the B&P Resale Shop here in Rockport.
This afternoon Jayme came to my door to give me the phone number for Tom Stehn, the director of operations at the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. She said he wanted some more information on the sighting of Whooping Cranes that I mentioned on the blog last week. I called him and had an interesting and informative conversation. The sighting that I reported at Sundown Bay on last Tuesday was of a Whooping Crane that had arrived the day before. They keep really extensive records of Whooping Crane activity. This year they are expecting about 285 birds. I told Tom about seeing two Cranes at Newcombe's Bend in Copano about three years ago. I thought they were just passing through. He said those two now have taken up their winter residence at that spot and defend it against other birds. I had seen two birds down at the Ranch House by Mud Island. He said there are five or six that stay in that area. I believe he said there are about 17 that reside on San Jose Island. All this time I thought the Whoopers all stayed at the refuge in one big colony!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home