Friday, November 20, 2009

I have been here when we have had near misses by hurricanes, but the last twelve hours have been the worst weather I have experienced here. It is pouring right now and the forecast is for it to continue. The Aransas Airport has had nine inches and Lamar Peninsula has had eleven inches. The high winds and storm conditions have been relentless. I don't see how anyone on the bayside got any sleep last night. The waves pounded the seawall all night and plumes of water shot about twenty feet into the air.
I was able to make a quick trip outside during a lull at daybreak to assess the damage so far. The Phase I pier is taking a beating. I can see some missing boards, but I don't know how many. The lights quit working during the night. There is some washout near the start of the pier. The new grass is doing its job and forcing water back over the wall and under the last few units on the 300 building. About 40% of the grass is under water and will die from the salt unless it can be rinsed with fresh water soon. The swimming pool is flooded.
To see the rainfall totals that are updated frequently, use the link at the top right of this post. About half way down the right side of the forecast there is a link to "3 day history". This link will update the rainfall totals.
I would expect most all roads to be closed. Some already are.
I'll post some pictures when the weather improves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home