Sunday, November 04, 2012

The bay was so smooth last week I took my boat out three days. The fish were hard to find and maybe this porpoise was thinking we knew where they were. You can see it in the portside wake. He followed us, but we didn't lead him to any fish. Maybe he should have been in the bow wake and he could have led us to the fish. There were a number of small trout at the wells and at Long Reef, but keepers were scarce. I did try out a bait that Greg gave me. It was a white strip of "fish bites". I've used them before to fish for perch, but he was correct. They work quite well on trout although I never caught a keeper on it.
I do have a new theory on the fish in the mitigation site. While roaming the bay last week, I never saw even one crab trap. They used to be all over the place.  Reds and drum really like crabs and may be having a problem finding them. The marshy area on the east side of the mitigation site is holding thousands of small fiddler crabs. They can be seen by the hundreds at a time. This is an excellent food source. When the crabs venture into the water, I would guess the reds and drum notice and grab all they can. Nothing else has proven to have any correlation to the presence of the fish. Winds, tide, and temperature don't seem to matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home